How to Apply
Complete Application
Fill out an Encroachment Permit Application and sign on both pages.
Provide Insurance
Submit Certificate of Insurance via email.
  • List the City of Lincoln as Additionally Insured and Certificate Holder
  • $1,000,000 minimum for each occurrence
  • $1,000,000 minimum for Automobile Liability (if applicable)
  • $2,000,000 minimum General Aggregate.
Provide Traffic Control Plan (for construction permits)
Submit Traffic Control Plan per MUTCD standards via email.
  • If your work will block roadways or sidewalks, Traffic Control Plans are required
Submit CAD files (for construction permits)
Submit CAD files via email if your project involves installation of new utilities.


Submit Permit Package

Submit completed application, Certificate of Insurance, and any supporting documents (Traffic Control Plans, Construction Plans, etc.) via email

You may also submit your permit package:

  • By dropping off in the locked drop-box on the 3rd floor of City Hall
  • By mailing to:

City of Lincoln

Attn: Engineering

600 Sixth Street

Lincoln, CA 95648

Pay Fees

Fees will be determined during application review. Engineering staff will send an invoice and you may use the online payment portal to process a credit card payment. You may also pay by check. Please coordinate check payment with Engineering staff.

Fees are based on current Master Fee Schedule.

Pay Fees

Credit card payments incur a 2.95% transaction fee.


Business License

Please ensure your City Issued Business License is up-to-date. Not having an active business license will delay processing your permit.



Encroachment Inspections

You must request your inspection at least 72 hours prior to commencing work in the right-of-way. The applicant is responsible for requesting inspections.

Effective May 27, 2023: Failure to notify and coordinate inspections shall result in forfeiture of inspection deposit for deposit-based permits. Work completed without inspections may also be subject to removal.

How to Schedule

Email with the following information:

  1. Permit number
  2. Location
  3. Date/Time of Work

Does Your Project Require an Inspection?

Most encroachment work requires at least 1-2 inspections.

The following scopes of work do not require inspections:

If you are unsure if your project requires inspections, feel free to email or call us at 916-434-3233.


Construction Working Hours

Normal Work Hours are Monday – Friday from 7:00am – 7:00pm as stated in the Public Facilities Improvement Standards (2-3 U).

If you wish to work on a Saturday, you must submit a Saturday Work Authorization Form. Please email your completed request form to at least 3 business days in advance.

Submitting a request form does not guarantee that Saturday work will be approved. Engineering Division staff will confirm if an inspector is available on your requested day. Inspection fees will be charged at 1.5 times the regular billing rate for Saturday inspections.


Do You Need an Encroachment Permit?

Yes, if your project includes work in the public right-of-way. The right-of-way includes curb/gutter, sidewalk, public roads, City-owned land, and City easements.