The airfield was constructed in 1942 by the U.S. Army Air Corps to serve as an auxiliary training field for B-25 bombers during World War II. At the time, the airfield was known as Lincoln Auxiliary Field - Mather Flying School.
The original airport operations were conducted from the west side of the airport and remnants of the old military barracks remain today.
In 1942, the airport consisted of four runways — three in a triangular formation and a fourth running through the center — each about 4,000 feet long and 300 feet wide.
By the early 1970s, all but the center runway (now designated Runway 15-33) were closed and abandoned. In the early 1980s, the City of Lincoln acquired additional property and Runway 15-33 was extended north to its present length of 6,001 feet and width of 100 feet. A full-length parallel taxiway (Taxiway A) east of the runway is connected by five perpendicular taxiways.
The Airport Today
Located on 775 acres, the Lincoln Regional Airport is owned and operated by the City of Lincoln. The airport is two miles west of downtown Lincoln and located just northwest of the intersection of Nicolaus Road and Aviation Boulevard. The airport offices and public pilots' lounge are located at 1480 Flightline Drive, as is the public entrance to the airport.
As of January, 2009, there were 241 aircraft based at the airport. Aviation forecasts predict that by 2015 there will be 282. Annual aircraft operations, which include take-offs and landings, totaled 83,911 at the end of 2008. These are forecasted to increase annually to 99,000 by 2015 and 118,000 by 2023.
Lincoln Regional Airport is a growth airport and is poised for expansion. It will accommodate aviation, light-industrial, and commercial development in the short and long-term range, complementing the development and growth of similar uses surrounding the airport. The airport, its development areas, and the surrounding areas have full access to the State Highway 65 Lincoln Bypass.